During my childhood days, visits to Udupi would be incomplete without dropping by the very famous Diana. I still remember very well that I always ordered Puri Kurma and Rose Milk. While others would order Diana special cutlets, I would not as much as sniff them. I would happily hog on my favourite palette. There was one more favourite which my Ajja would get parceled from Diana if ever he visited Udupi just for us back home. The dish was Dingri Paneer and it used to taste out of the world. We used to literally lick off the containers. Now that I am a Mommy and educate my kids on how important it is to eat veggies for them to grow 'beeeg' and 'strong', I have no other way but to eat them myself. Cutlets are one of the best ways to consume lots of veggies while gastronomical pleasure is guaranteed.
On this Valentine's Day, make these cute looking, tongue tingling, beet red, heart shaped snacks for your loved ones.
Recipe Source: Divya's Easy Cooking
Potato – 3 medium, cooked and mashed
Carrots – 3 medium, peeled and grated
Beetroot – 1 big, peeled and grated
Onion – 1 medium, chopped
Green chilly – 1, chopped
Garlic – 2-3 cloves, chopped
Salt to taste
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Bread slices – 4, dipped in water and squeezed to a pulp
Bread crumbs – 100 gms
Maida – 2 tbsp
Oil – for frying
1. Heat oil in a kadai and add green chillies and garlic paste.
2. Saute for a minute and then add the chopped onion.
3. When the onion starts turning light brown, mix in the grated carrot and beetroot.
4. Add garam masala and salt to taste and mix well.
5. Cook on a low flame till the water evaporates and the mix becomes dry.
6. Let it cool and then mix in the mashed potatoes and bread pulp.
7., Make small balls of the mix and flatten it using your palms. You can use a cookie cutter or a round shaped lid of any container to cut into desired shape
8. Keep it in the fridge for a while to firm up.
9. Make a paste using ½ a cup of water and maida. (You may use whisked egg instead)
10. Dip the flattened discs first in the maida-water and then roll it in the bread crumbs.
11. Arrange on a plate and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
12. Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying the cutlets. Make sure the oil is really hot before putting in the cutlets.
13. Add the cutlets to the hot oil and fry till they become dark brown on both sides.Serve hot!!