My gran n mom used to prepare this during summer. These had to dry in the sun for 7 days. They were then preserved and fried in oil. At my home, vodis were partially prepared for this purpose. They were mostly prepared as we all loved to eat it raw. More than half of the quantity was consumed by us raw. Raw or fried, they are too yummy to resist.
Rice - 1 cup
Red chillies - 8-10
Salt - to taste
Onion or garlic (don't use both) - 1 cup finely chopped
1. Wash and soak rice for 4-5 hours in enough water.
2. Grind rice along with red chillies to a smooth paste with a little water.
3. Mix double the quantity of water, ground paste and rice.
4. Take it in a saucepan and place on medium flame.
5. Keep stirring till it starts boiling and lumps begin forming and becomes thick.
6. Remove from heat. Keep it covered overnight.
7. In the morning, mix onions or garlic.
8. Place the batter in the form of small round vodis on a plastic sheet in sun.
9. They should continously dried for 7 days in sun.
10. Store in air tight containers.
11. Deep fry them as and when required.