I don't have the luxury of making one pot meals coz Abbas completely detests them. Not that he demands elaborate meals, he is happy with Rice, Daal and Brinjal/Potato/Egg fried also. He likes his rice in its pure plain white form. I love my rice in just about any form. This is a kind of rice that I learnt from one of my aunts. The flavour of fenugreek leaves in the rice is simply mind boggling and I can have this one on its own. Well, it can be served with raitha or perhaps some onions rings and lemon wedges.
Rice - 2 cups
Fenugreek leaves - 1 1/2 to 2 cups
Tomatoes - 2 medium sized
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 3 tbsp
Onions - 2 medium sized
Green chillies - 5 or to taste
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste - 2 tbsp
1. Wash methi leaves and squeeze out the excess water from them, chop, keep aside.
2. Cook rice separately (salt has to be added in the process) and spread on large wide plates to let all the steam escape.
3. Heat oil in a pan, saute the ground onion paste till raw smell goes away.
4. Add tomatoes and saute till oil starts oozing from the edges.
5. Add methi leaves, turmeric powder and salt and saute for 3 minutes. Mix cooked and cooled rice gently with this mixture and methi pulao is ready to be served.