Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Chocolate Honeycomb Cake - for the coveted triumph


We were a family of cricket fanatics at home except Amma. We would be glued to the television sets during cricket matches played by India. My Annamma (grandma) was a self proclaimed cricket freak! Sindhu (my sis) and I accompanied Annamma while watching the late night matches. After marriage, I stopped watching matches coz they reminded me of those days. And I didn’t like cricket with the absence of Annamma and Sindhu by my side to cheer and frown. Sindhu would occasionally even put me out of the drawing room and make me sit in some other room when Indian wickets fell coz she believed it was because of me… This time however I couldn’t stop myself from getting hooked to the sport ever since India reached quarter finals. I closely followed all three matches against Australia, Pakistan and Srilanka… Yes, I remembered Annamma and Sindhu all the while. So all I did was imagine how they would have rejoiced at opponent’s wicket fall or boundaries and sixers hit by Indians.

Kudos to the Indian team for bagging the World Cup this time. It sure was a lifetime experience to watch this victory coz I wasn’t even born during the previous Indian World Cup victory… FB and Twitter have been infectious in spreading the Cricket virus. One question by Ria in FB ‘How should we celebrate it?’ had lots of people making something sweet in unison towards a single cause. I too couldn’t resist joining in. So here goes Chocolate Honeycomb Cake for the Indian Cricket Team who worked hard like honeybees with unity towards an undeterred aim and came out with flying colours…

With IPL round the corner, my loyalty is all with Bangalore Royal Challengers. Well, I will be left alone with the rest at home supporting Kolkata Knight Riders. Never mind! Let’s wait and watch… Who are you supporting this IPL season?

Cake recipe source:
It's the 'Perfectly Chocolate' Chocolate Cake by Hershey's

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (I used weikfield)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
For assembling:
Whipped cream – 11/2 to 2 cups (I used whipped cream powder, since it had sugar in it, I didn’t have to add any)
Pepsi / Coke – 1 cup
Chocolate curls – for decorating

For the honeycomb pattern:
Semi sweet chocolate – 10 oz
Bubble wrap

Method:
  1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
  2.  
For assembling:

  1. Once both the cakes are cool, cut them horizontally into 2 layers each.
  2. Place the first layer on the serving plate. Drizzle pepsi / coke all over it. Cover with whipped cream. Repeat the same for next three layers.
  3. Cover the top and sides with whipped cream. Stick chocolate curls all over the sides of the cake.

For the bubble wrap:

  1. Cut a template out of bubble wrap of the size and shape of the top of your cake.
  2. Melt chocolate in microwave for a minute. Stir well. Pour the melted chocolate evenly all over the bubble wrap.
  3. Once the chocolate is half set, carefully invert it over the top of the cake and slightly press it.
  4. Refrigerate for 15 mins and then carefully peel off the bubble wrap.
This was undoubtedly the best cake I have baked so far. It was super moist and perhaps addition of Pepsi on all layers made it even moister. I just couldn’t stop myself staring at the honeycomb pattern. It was hard to believe that it was so simple to get yet looked so elegant. All thanks to Ria, I got this idea from her!




This goes out to Bookmarked Recipes every Tuesday event hosted by Aipi.


And also to Treat To Eyes Series-2 hosted by Rumana
 
Best Blogger Tips

13 comments:

  1. Hey..i never u knew the fact..good that i came to know...thnx to blogspot!!and the cake was really awesome...u rock seems...love u...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat a beautiful cake, looks gorgeous..a prefect cake to celebrate our Indian team's victory..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Seema, you just outdid yourself! Thanks so much for trying the technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful cake.. and thanks for sending it to my event:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great celebratory cake - Yummalicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This truly deserves 5 stars!!! What a FAB way to celebrate the World cup victory - spectacular!
    Thanks a lot for linking this to bookmark event :)

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful presentation dear.I can feel the hard work there.Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a beautiful cake...worth all the effort you have put in there..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honey comb Cake looks perfect Seema..kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks just like the one Ria posted.. im sure im going to try this.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow.. how did i miss this!!! honeycomb is so perfect.. I would like to take a bite..
    ammaandbaby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Readers' comments play an important role in keeping a blog alive and pump the host's enthusiasm. They are very rewarding and each comment makes me jump with elation and sense of achievement. Thanks for visiting my blog. I would love to receive your valuable feedback so that I can make this space better...

Seema

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...