Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Muesli Snack Bars



I had again entered the blogger's block. Feels like it's been ages when I last fed my blog... I have been very lazy to cook, let alone click and post about food. I can't totally avoid cooking but I was sticking to simple and easy stuff which would mean less kitchen time. It all started off with internet cable in our locality cut down accidentally. It took 10 days for it to be restored. So many days of recluse from the blogging world somehow cut down my hyperactivity. I went into hibernation mode and was silently enjoying it. Got bored of being inactive too. So I'm back today with a bookmarked recipe from Ria's Collection

Had bought muesli for kids and they simply dislike it. Tried all my marketing skills to get them to eat muesli but they were reluctant to buy. The muesli container would stare at me each time I opened my kitchen cabinet looking for something else. Yesterday I chatted with Ria in FB and asked her if she has any recipe which could be prepared using muesli. She instantly suggested her Snacks bars which had oats which I could substitute with muesli. I immediately rose up from seat, donned my apron and set off to bake this goodie. I'm glad I did. It was 11 PM at night and I was starving waiting for Abbas to arrive home. It was a breeze to make, got made in a jiffy. While it baked in the oven, every nook and corner of my home was filled with an aroma which was mesmerizing.  I was a happy girl for having used up muesli in such an elegant way!!!

Makes 12 bars
Ingredients:
1/4 c coconut oil (I used sunflower oil)
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c granulated sugar (Oops, I overlooked this and omitted. But sweetness was just right for me)
1 egg
1 tbsp skim milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup oats (I substituted with muesli)
1/2 c + 2/3 c  wholewheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 c dessicated coconut (I didn't add this as I dislike coconut in any form other than paste)

For topping:

3/4 c chocolate chips, melted (I melted a small bar of milk choclate)
Broken cashews or almond flakes - 2 tbsp

Method:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F / 180C
2. Beat together oil, sugars, milk, egg & vanilla for 2 mins or till the sugar dissolves.
3. Dump the dry ingredients into the wet and mix together until just combined with a rubber spatula.
4. Spread this in a lightly greased 8 x 8 in. square baking tin and bake for 20-25 mins or until golden( It will be soft to touch).
5. Take it out and spread the melted chocolate over it. (I sprinkled broken cashew pieces on top.) Cool completely and cut into bars.
6. Store in an airtight tin.







Sending this to Bookmarked Recipes Every Tuesday event hosted by Priya







Best Blogger Tips

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for trying Seema! I can see that you enjoyed these bars :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scrumptious,healthy snack bars, super addictive and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, sounds superb and healthy snack bars. Hope now you are back from your block and thanks for linking it to our event :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely and interesting use of muesli. Good to see you back.

    ReplyDelete

Readers' comments play an important role in keeping a blog alive and pump the host's enthusiasm. They are very rewarding and each comment makes me jump with elation and sense of achievement. Thanks for visiting my blog. I would love to receive your valuable feedback so that I can make this space better...

Seema

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...