Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Ucche, Shozne Data, Bori ar Alur Tarkari - Bitter Gourd, Drumstick, Lentil Dumpling and Potato Stir Fry


One of my favourite side dishes on a Bong platter. The combo of Bitter Gourd and Drumstick is very rare, and takes the dish to an entirely different level. I fail to express the taste of this side dish, one has to taste it to feel it. The presence minimal spices lets one taste all the veggies in their natural form unadulterated.

I learnt it from Ma who learnt it from someone else. She must've told me that someone's name atleast 24 times. But I forgot. Anyhow, whoever it is, god bless her! My ears have a special filter which only let in what is necessary out of Ma's non-stop iterative speech! Anyway, all credit goes to her for me learning Benagli so quickly. I picked it up by imitating her tape recorded excerpts which get repeated with each word in the same order each time. Jokes apart, I can't stand Ma's silence. Ma, you keep talking (while my ear filter is intact, lol)

Ingredients:
Bitter Gourd – 1 medium, sliced
Drumstick – 2 to 3, cut into finger sized pieces
Potato – 2 medium sized, cut in french fry style
Bori – ½ cup (optional)
Panch phoran – 1 tsp or Nigella seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp

Method:
  1. Shallow fry bitter gourd, drumstick, potato and bori by marinating them with salt and turmeric powder in a tbsp of oil. (Make sure you fry the boris at the end coz they absorb all the oil)


  1. Heat remaining oil in a pan. Add panch phoran or nigella seeds.
  2. When they splutter add all the shallow fried ingredients, turmeric powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, salt and combine.
  3. Add 1 cup of water and cook on low flame covered till all veggies are cooked.

Note:
There is no need to cook till all water is evaporated. You could leave some amount of water coz if it is left to stand, Boris and Potatoes might absorb any remaining water.


This goes out to Jagruti's Complete my Thali event


Best Blogger Tips

2 comments:

  1. I am new to this dish and very innovative too dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, wat a great looking stir fry, never tried adding bittergourd with drumsticks and potato..beautiful combo..

    ReplyDelete

Readers' comments play an important role in keeping a blog alive and pump the host's enthusiasm. They are very rewarding and each comment makes me jump with elation and sense of achievement. Thanks for visiting my blog. I would love to receive your valuable feedback so that I can make this space better...

Seema

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...