There are a few go to blogs where I hop for specific recipe needs, without worrying about the end result. Pree's blog is one among them. Mostly for non-veg dishes, I have been lately referring to her recipes on and off coz they have given me accolades each time. While surfing through her recipes I saw an impromptu invention of hers in the form of Prawn Biryani. I modified the recipe as per ingredient availability in my pantry and the pulao came out delicious to say the least.
Here is how I made it:
Basmati rice - 1 1/2 cups
Seer / King fish - 5-6 medium sized pieces
Onion - 1 medium sized, finely sliced
Garlic - 7-8 cloves
Ginger - 2"piece
Green chillies - 4 or as per spice tolerance
Coriander leaves - a handful
Lemon juice - few drops
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Black pepper powder - 1 tsp
Coconut milk - 1 cup
Cooking oil - 2 tbsp
Cardamom - 2 (Green and black)
Cinnamon - 1 stick
Bay leaves - 2
Star anise - 1
Nigella seeds - 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg - a pinch grated
Salt to taste
1. Boil fish pieces in enough water with salt and turmeric powder. Once the fish pieces are cooked, strain the water and reserve. Remove the bones from fish and keep aside.
2. Grind ginger and garlic together. Keep aside.
3. Grind green chillies and coriander leaves together. Keep aside.
4. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and saute onion slices till brown.
5. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a few minutes till the raw smell goes away.
6. Add chilli-coriander chutney and saute for 4-5 minutes.
7. Add fish pieces, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, salt and combine.
8. In another frying pan, heat the remaining one tbsp oil, add the bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, nigella seeds, star anise and stir for a minute. Add the rice and fry till the grains get coated with the oil. Add the grated nutmeg, and salt (carefully as our prawns already have some). Fry for 3-4 minutes and remove from heat.
9. In a microwave safe bowl, add the rice, fish mixture, one cup of thick coconut milk and one cup plus two tbsps of water.
10. Microwave on high for 20 mins and let it stand for atleast 10 mins.
Just out of the microwave oven...
After giving a light stir...