Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rennaisa e Gobi



I had only heard her sweet voice on phone till then. She would talk to me in Hindi addressing me as Aunty! When we met in person, we gelled along very well. Her company was very soothing and fun filled in an unknown place with strangers all around speaking in an alien language. She would be my interpreter whenever the need arose. In a couple of days, I was re-christened as ‘Pi’ coz Kakima or Chachi sounded Eeks!!! She became my Bangla teacher and I owe my first exposure to Bengali alphabets to her. She partially filled the void that Sindhu’s (my sis) absence had created in my life. We were the best of pals and would quarrel over trifle things too. She seldom forgot that I was her Aunt and treated me like her peer. She is not to be solely blamed for that, perhaps I have given her that much of space and privilege. I too become a kid with her and seamlessly enjoy myself in her company. She would keep a close watch on all my activities and criticize or compliment me on everything, be it accessories, apparels or even my ways of doing things. She always found my way of munching food funny and imitated it. (Well, that’s how my Dad ate and I have inherited it from him, can’t help it) We had common interests like crafts, drawing, painting, baking etc.

She is away now but memories of our good times together always linger. This post is dedicated to her coz whenever I cook Gobi, I remember an incident without fail. It was a Winter afternoon when we were having our lunch together. We were relishing Gobi and she took a big piece of Gobi from my plate and helped herself. (Somebody taking anything off my plate and/or putting something onto my plate while dining is one of the things that instantaneously gets on to my nerves. I have had so many quarrels with Sindhu due to this and madam would purposely do it to ignite my anger.) We had an argument over Gobi and I wanted that piece back on my plate. How kiddish I was!!! Each time I have Gobi on my plate now, makes me wish I had Ummi (her pet name) by my side.

I dedicate this dish to my niece… She is a girl with a golden heart which mostly gets concealed and unnoticed due to her mischief. This dish is Ma’s signature dish and is simply mind blowing. I did not know what to name it. So named it after the person it reminds me most of – Rennaisa.

Here goes Rennaisa e Gobi:

Ingredients:
Cauliflower / Gobi – 1 big head
Onions – 3, medium sized, finely chopped
Ginger paste – 11/2 tbsp
Tomato Ketchup – 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil – 3 tbsp

Coarsely pound:
Cloves – 3-4
Cardamoms – 3-4
Cinnamon – 1”stick


Method:
  1. Cut the Gobi into small florets (not more than 2 cm long) and soak in hot water. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and salt, mix well. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Drain the water and keep the florets aside.
  2. Heat oil in a pan. Add pounded garam masala. Add finely chopped onions and sauté till they turn light golden brown.
  3. Add ginger paste and sauté till raw smell goes off.
  4. Add the cauliflower florets, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and salt. Add half a cup of water and cover with a lid. Let it cook on low flame.
  5. After 8-10 mins, add tomato ketchup and combine. Remove the lid and cook until the gravy content evaporates and oil oozes out from sides.
  6. This is a dry dish and can be served with Indian bread or as a side with Rice.

Note:
As this dish has cauliflower alone as the key ingredient, a large head would yield a dish sufficient for 3-4 persons on an average. (For ardent Gobi lovers like me, its difficult to predict coz its simply yummilicious.)




Best Blogger Tips

8 comments:

  1. lovely dish.... looks perfect..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gobi gravy looks inviting, love these sort of side sides to enjoy with rotis..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ingredients of your literature is quite touching!!! This is one of my favourites and it becomes best when some memories gets spiced with it!!! Kudos

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ingredients of your literature punched with very fond memories makes this Dish a Hot favourite of mine. Keep it up.......inks speaks more than words!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tumhara rennaisa e gobi padke and dekhke bahat achcha laga.Main bhi try karungi,tumhara writing bahateeee achcha hain.Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds interesting & looks delicious! lovely memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pi , am your Chinnu....Rennaisa. Am so happy that you have made a dish in my name...Rennaisae Gobi. You are my favourite , Sweet and the best Pi in the world !!! I love you very much. I will prepare Rennaise Gobi and serve it to every member of my family. Thank You very much. !!

    ReplyDelete

Readers' comments play an important role in keeping a blog alive and pump the host's enthusiasm. They are very rewarding and each comment makes me jump with elation and sense of achievement. Thanks for visiting my blog. I would love to receive your valuable feedback so that I can make this space better...

Seema

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...